Sunday, November 16, 2008

Yo, Adrian . . . we did it!

That was the last line from Rocky II and Rocky VI (the last movie of the franchise). Rocky was calling for Adrian (his wife) when he won the World Championship in Rocky II; and when he placed the flowers on her grave at the last scene in Rocky VI.

It was almost night when I reached Philadelphia Museum of Art. I located East Entrance Steps after some difficulties and strapped on my Apple Ipod searching for the Rocky theme music. Around me, people were running up the steps in unison and doing the Rocky victory dance at the top. There was even a wedding photo shoot on the steps.


This is the view from the top of the steps. By the way, if I do get married, I am so never, ever, taking any wedding photos in Singapore. There is surely a limit of the number of times I can endure seeing Sentosa or the Esplanade on wedding cards.


Only one of my friends was brave enough to act stupid with me and accompany me in running up the steps. The rest just couldn't "get it". They turned down the opportunity bcause they couldn't get the significance (some never watched Rocky movies in their lives) and some were also worried about appearing like idiots. Honestly, sometimes I think Singaporeans are too serious for our own good.


Sometimes, I really despair for my generation. I really do. Because they don't get it, they just don't. Everything is just money and work. Some didn't even watch any movies. I always thought I was boring but compare to some of my colleagues, I am positively the Hellraiser himself.

The running pic below is blur but no choice there.



View from the top of the steps. Wonderful view of Philadelphia.

Ok, the running aside. Philadelphia is a dump. Aw, man. The city seriously suck. Some of the streets were flooded after a heavy downpour. It was like Vientiane. Seriously, the Rocky movies are really accurate in portraying Philadelphia as a seedy and rough city. This city is really squalid. No wonder Rocky has to fight his way out of this city. I drove to this so-called famous restaurant "Pat's King of Steaks" to have the celebrated, legendary and illustrious Philly Cheesesteaks.


The "legendary" food turned out to be utter rubbish. I was so appalled by the Philly Cheesesteaks that I decided not to even put up pictures of it. Imagine a baguette with slices of beef and cheese and that's it. The beef was tasteless anyway so it was horrible.


I was so disappointed that I drove back to NYC and went straight to Carnegie Deli. Carnegie Deli is famous for their cheese cakes. However, the service was utterly rubbish. I had been forewarned so I wasn't surprised. How bad was the service? Let's just say that they served me cold beer in a WARM mug. That was only one word to describe the service. GHASTLY.


But the cheesecake was awesome though.


Seriously, seriously good.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

Wow... a rarity to see a pic of you!

CM should see this!

I belong to the "serious" Singaporeans. To be very honest, we are just afraid to look stupid.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

This time got friends around me to take pictures. : )

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home