Sunday, December 28, 2008

In between destinations

I am writing this entry from my hotel room in Flamingo, Las Vegas. I have neglected my blog partly because I had been quite down. But I finally bid a tearful farewell to New York and flew to LA to meet up with my friend from Singapore, before driving up to Las Vegas. By the way, New York was bloody cold. It was so cold that for one minute, I honestly thought my blood was frozen and my ears had fallen off.

Which of course, brings me to the subject of Los Angeles.
Los Angeles blows. Hollywood is bloody awful. There are more homeless people in Hollywood than I can count. Just how many homeless are there in Hollywood? Let's just say that I tripped over two hobos without even realising that they were lying on the pavement. I thought they were rubbish heaps because these hobos just draped a brown, decaying blanket over them when they slept. I tell you, when the "rubbish heap" started raising up, my heart actually skipped a beat. My first impression was that the dead had finally rised from the grave ala Resident Evil. These hobos are also quite shameless. They just came up to tourists and asked for money. Yeah, right.

I will write more about Las Vegas which is infinitely more interesting. But here are some photos of LA and Hollywood for keepsake.

Hollywood Boulevard and the Walk of Fame
Lots of characters dressing up as movie characters for tourists to take pictures with e.g. Captain America, Darth Vader. My guide warned me to be careful of three characers on the Hollywood Boulevard. One was Jack Sparrow who tended to get a little too "feely" with female tourists. Second was a crazy and filthy Spiderman who hid in a trash can and then jumped out to throw webbings at shocked tourists. And the third was a Marilyn Monroe who stood above a wind vent and like wind blew up her skirts for her classic pose. Problem is that if one looks up her skirt, one would see something extra. Yeeewww. I only met Jack Sparrow and I stayed far away from him.
Who can resist taking a picture of the star which belongs to the One?
I can't resist stamping my foot at David Copperfield.




Johnny Depp's foot isn't really that big.

I also did the Hollywood movie stars' homes tour where a van brought us around to see the homes of the rich and famous e.g. Jennifer Lopez, Jackie Chan, Jim Carrey, Tom Cruise and Sean Connery. Beckham's castle was so bloody big and well hidden that we can only see the spires from the distance. The best looking house must be that of J-Lo. Tasteful but not to the point of opulent.

I had dinner at the Saddle Ranch Chop House. It is featured in Sex and the City where one can ride the mechanical bull. It is especially challenging if one is drunk.


2 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

Something is wrong this Xmas. You are down and another close friend is also down- depressed and sick.

Did you try the bull thing?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

Yeah, I am down and sick too. In a town called Monterey somewhere between LA and San Francisco.

No, did not try the bull thing. A bit too tipsy by then to maintain my balance. It is remote-controlled by a guy next to the mechanical bull who made it nice and easy with the guests who tried it.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home