Sunday, March 01, 2009

Dreadfully wrong / Mahabodhi Temple

Not for the first time, I think there is something dreadfully wrong with me. I am hungry all the time and I couldn't stop eating. My friends joked that I had a Lao worm setting up camp in my stomach. I can imagine the worm now - sitting in a high back IKEA chair, drinking tea and reading a book. Just to give an example: I just had half a herbal chicken and rice for dinner at Harbour Front Centre, and then got hungry after 5 minutes. I then walked over to Vivocity Food Republic to eat a plate of roast duck rice. Then for good measure, I ate two baos on the way out. And I am still hungry. I am chewing bananas now just to stave the hunger pangs.

As with all things, I shall blame it on her.

And to make it worse, my personal laptop gave up on me. Great. I can't really complain because (a) I got the laptop for free and (b) i hated the laptop since day one. But still, another 1K+ going down the drain. Money that I could have saved.

The spate of bad luck follows after my visit to Bodh Gaya and the Mahabodhi Temple. Which is funny really since all evil spirits and bad luck are supposed to be vanquished at Mahabodhi temple which is the most holy of Buddhist grounds.

First, to the region of Bodh Gaya.


If I didn't specify this is India, you would think it is Laos. Basically, I have been to enough 3rd world countries to know that the landscapes all look roughly the same.

But of course, the place is much messier and crowded than Laos.

The straw "hut" on the right is really not a hut. But it is in fact harvested straws all stacked economically into a "hut" shape.
Another typical "house" in Bihar, poorest state in India. Just some poor quality concrete stacked with some straws/rattans for roof. And a door that doesn't really fit.
Landscape shot.
Mahabodhi temple at night. It is famous for the holy Bodhi tree. According to Buddhist religious teachings, in 530 BC, Buddha when he was wondering around, reached this spot and sat in meditation under a tree. He reached enlightenment after 3 days and nights.


See this guy putting up his tent. There are many tents filled with praying monks around the stupa and the holy tree.

You may have to tilt the screen a bit to see the outline of the holy tree. There is a tent in front of it.

Some guy sitting back against the wall meditating.


A tent that is awashed with blue light infront of the Bodhi tree.
I should have brought back a leaf from the Holiest of trees back from good karma.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

I am quite keen to see this temple leh... least this is not some man made tourist trap.

I honestly can't see any tree.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

tilt your monitor a bt and you should be able to see the outline of the tree quite clearly

anyway, i will put up more day photos so you can see

it is a pity that India is not tourist-friendly. too many transportation problems, beggars and madmen on the streets

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home