Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Life's coincidences

I was about to get ready for bed when I decided to tidy up my bookshelf a bit. My old Thai exercise book dropped out of the shelf and out of nostalgia, I decided to give it a flip. On the back page was a list of classmates' names that I had scribbled down, possibly because I was dead bored in class. This was almost six years ago, mind you. Studying Thai in Bangkok was possibly one of the better times of my life.

One of the names stood out because the person actually scribbled down her address in Bangkok. Her name was Amy Brenneman and the last I heard, she designed clothes and had her own clothing line. So life was good for her. I recalled that Amy was very cool and she was always keen to know more about Singapore.

Out of curiousity, I googled her name and the following page comes up.
http://www.sjsratline.com/iWeb/www.sjsratline.com/Blog/FC657418-09F6-4869-8600-906819093F20.html

The appeal was in March 2008. Amy and her husband and daughter were in an elevator in a Thai apartment when the cable snapped. Yeah, the cable snapped and the elevator dropped five stories before crashing. And my friend was five months pregnant. The baby was safe although from the sound of it, Amy pretty much broke every bone in her body. She was smiling in the pictures though, so I guess she was some tough lady.

From the sound of it, she needed some financial help. Her clothing line has stopped. So I am probably going to email her sister to see whether I could get in contact with Amy again.

Times like this make me glad I wasn't staying in some broken down apartment in Thailand.

1 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

I returned home last night and caught wk reading the link from your blog.

Life is so unpredictable... and I wonder what China has install for me up there.

I think a walk up apartment sounds good.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home