Friday, July 28, 2006

Pop Quiz which makes me want to hang myself

I was having breakfast today with a guest. I was eating my raisin bread and some strange prawn balls off the hotel's breakfast buffet and thinking to myself that this wasn't too bad for a morning's start, when the guest asked me this English question. Apparently, his daughters were given this question in some primary school tests in Singapore:

Question

Fill in the blank with the most appropriate word.

The man died in a ______ accident.

(a) dangerous
(b) fatal
(c) tragic

My immediate answer was tragic. I didn't even have to think about it and begin thinking about whether I should have a glass of milk to wash the bread down.

Dangerous accident sounded so . . . weak and wrong although I can still make a case for it if I want to. Nay.

Fatal accident is practically a redundant phrase because the man died. I mean, of course the accident is fatal, the man died. Duh. What else could the accident be? Tiny-weeny fatal? Double Nay.

Answer :

The guest looked at me and said that her daughters were told by her teachers and school that the correct answer was Fatal. The man died in a fatal accident.

A lot of emotions came into my head. Confusion, regret, shamefulness at answering a primary school-level question wrongly but most of all . . . . .



HOLY SHIT. WTF IS THAT ANSWER AGAIN?


A man died in a fatal accident is the most stupid and redundant statement of all time. Its inherent duplicity of meaning hit me like a cheap Japanese car hitting a brickwall. In this case, the wall of stupidity erected by MOE won as I staggered away from this car-wreck of an English statement like a driver drunk on absolut. I can't believe MOE said this is the correct answer. Like DUH. Of course - it is a fatal accident, you freaking moron. What else could it be? Died from a near fatal accident? Died from an almost fatal accident? Died from just a bit fatal accident? Died from an accident which is 70% fatal and 30% ok and non-fatal? Wah lau eh. It is early morning and I felt like killing myself already. Pass me the rope please.

If I have a kid and she comes to me saying that her teacher taught her that "a man died in a fatal accident", I am really going to open a can of whoop-ass on her teacher using a dictionary as a weapon of mass destruction. Our primary school education blows.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

Aiyo, the kid is suppose to infer from the word "died" that the answer is "fatal"-- very common though I understand what you meant by redundant.

"The skinny girl is very thin."

Ha ha ha.....

9:50 AM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

"The skinny girl is very thin."

BAM! Yet another car wreck of an English statement.

I heard many parents actually went to their primary schools to complain about "the man died in a fatal accident" statement but the schools basically ignored them.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home