Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A place for Tai-Tais

I had one of those unsatisfying expensive dining experiences again. I can only say there is nothing in this place that would make me go back again. Ever.

Supposed to be the next big thing in Singapore. Will. Go. Bust. In. A. Year.

http://www.diningcity.com/singapore/Spruce027/index_eng.jsp

I should start giving out my own prizes soon for this type of restaurants that charges so very much for so very nothing. There were seven of us. We had three starters to share, a main each, another two desserts to share and then coffee all round. It costs S$41 per pax. For S$41, one would expect something extraordinary. But that something never came. Everything is ordinary. I had their "famous" Spruce Burger which I kid you not, tastes almost EXACTLY like a big Mac only it costs S$19. I mean, their Spruce Burger comes with mustard. I like mustard. I eat my hotdogs in New York with mustard. But it is an universally accepted rule that the only reason we put mustard in hot dogs and burgers is because they are inedible. Frankly, if you have to liberally sprinkle mustard in your famous burger, you don't deserve to ask S$19 from your customer.

I know I am in trouble when the place is packed with tai-tais. It is another universally accepted rule that tai-tais have absolutely rubbish taste and are suckers for anything that costs a lot but tastes exactly the same as your nearest McDonalds.

And the best thing is that the waitress, who was nice, asked us "if you have a big appetite, one should go for the pasta!" With all due respect to Spruce, that is absolute nonsense. We gave a long hard stare at the miserly plate of ravioli when it was served, hoping that it would transform magically into a big plate of pasta. But alas, it did not change its shape or size. I could eat three of those plates of raviolis without even blinking. We concluded that the waitress is extremely shortsighted and mistook us for a group of tai-tais who are full after eating a spoon of grass.

Doom. To. Go. Bust. Within. A. Year.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

Reminds me of PS cafe at Dempsey.

I wasn't particularly impressed with PS too.

Tai Tais don't eat, they just need to be seen in the right places.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

PS Cafe is over-rated. But at least the beef onglet, which is their signature dish, is ok. Not great but ok.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home