Friday, September 08, 2006

Miss Universe 2006 - Q & A

Its Friday and I can't wait to start my weekend like every other weekend in Laos. Drinking beer and playing playstation. Bliss. In the spirit of things, let's play a game. I will ask an interview question and I will give five answers. These answers are actual answers given by five contestants to the same question as part of the Miss Universe 2006 interviews. In other words, I am not making this shit up. The five contestants are:

(a) Miss Singapore
(b) Miss Bahamas
(c) Miss Malaysia
(d) Miss Japan (of course)
(e) Miss Philippines

Can you spot which answer is given by Miss Singapore?

The question is not difficult at all.

Question : What are your interests and what do you enjoy doing the most?

Answer A

I love to go to places that I have never been and discover new cultures and meet new people. Between my second and third years of University, I spent one year in France studying French. I am passionate about French cinematography and I wanted to see French movies without reading the subtitles. Also, I lived in Spain for 3 months to learn Flamenco. I have been dancing Flamenco for almost 2 years now. I would like _____ women to learn Flamenco because it would help them express more passion, an attribute that will strengthen confidence.

Answer B

I enjoy reading and listening to music; I listen to a wide range of music -- from alternative rock to reggae to world music to anything new and interesting. During long weekends, my fellow free spirits and I take road trips and experience a little culture and adventure.


Answer C

My passions in life are food and fashion. I am ever willing to cook for anyone at any time; my specialties are pasta and ______ cuisine. Besides cooking, I also love fashion designing; I hope to have my own clothing line one day. Friends come to me for ideas and advice on fashion, and I always enjoy being their consultant on shopping sprees. Being a people-oriented person, I enjoy organizing events, too. Hence, I have turned this interest into a part-time business.

Answer D

Chilling out with friends over coffee or wine; water sports like swimming and wakeboarding; playing the electone organ; looking at art; watching foreign films; shopping; traveling; and reading.

Answer E

Life is only what you make it, so I make the best out of every experience. I enjoy giving back to my community, so I take time to engage in social activities that will have a positive impact on the lives of others. These activities include directing the children's choir and assisting with other extracurricular activities that involve children and young people.


ARE YOU READY? Pens down, students and hand in your paper. No talking please.




Answer A - Miss Japan (yeah!)

Answer B - Miss Philippines

Answer C - Miss Malaysia

Answer D - Miss Singapore

Answer E - Miss Bahamas


Why are Singaporeans always give boring answers ?!??! What do we do in our free time? Oh, meet with friends over coffee or wine (?), shopping, reading . . . ."

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Yawn.


Beauties from other countries can list interesting activities or at least, make mundane activities sound like the most interesting thing in the world. Read closely again Miss Malaysia's reply. She is effectively saying she likes to do stupid things like cook and design clothes. However, she had the brains to apply comestics to an otherwise mundane answer. She massaged her answer until she sounded like a great person with brains and inner beauty and people come to her for advice. Holy Shit. Miss Singapore? She just likes to meet friends and shop. Kill me already.

Miss Japan dances and teaches flamengo (OMG) to Japanese women. Miss Bahamas participates in community activities with kids. Miss Philippines likes to listen to music from rock to reggae. Their answers make us understand them a little better even though they are probably all lies. But this is Miss Universe Finals - you are expected to massage your answer and lie a bit. If all girls tell the truth, I guarantee that 90% will say they like to shop for LV in their free time and suck men dry of their money. Honest to Goodness Truth. The other 10% will say they shop for Gucci.

Why aren't Singaporeans more interesting? Why do we keep giving boring ass answers like shopping and eating? Why isn't Miss Singapore more prepared to answer a simple question? It wasn't as if the judges asked her to name the six noble gases in the periodic table(can you?).

Sigh. And when Miss Singapore was asked to describe Singapore, the place where she grew up. Guess what she said? "I've been raised and brought up in the sunny city of Singapore". That's all??! Stupid. I wish I could punch her for having zero vocabulary.

Let's see how Miss Japan describe the place where she grew up.

I was born and raised in Naha, which is the capital city of Okinawa, the 47th prefecture in Japan. The climate of Okinawa Island is sub-tropical. The emerald ocean and beautiful beaches make Okinawa a popular travel destination for Japanese and foreign tourists. Even though I was raised in the capital city, the pace is nothing similar to that of Tokyo's hectic city routine! Due to the unique history of Okinawa, which is influenced by different cultures such as the American and Chinese cultures, it is a part of Japan that does not seem Japanese. We even have our own dialect.

Holy f'ng shit! HOW TO FIGHT?!?!!!?!?!

But the greatest answer comes from Miss Lebanon. Yes, LEBANON. When asked to describe the place where she grew up, she said:

"I was born in Beirut during war time. My father was killed when I was 4 years old."

HOLY SHIT. The whole place went silent even though it was a irrelevant answer.

4 Comments:

Blogger vanilla said...

The word "chill out" is a give away... only singaporeans think chilling out is cool. We have no life and only like to spent money.

The sea sport thing? Wah.. very the Singaporean. Almost every "happening" graduates I met does sea sports.

We need someone who has seen the world or at least part of the world to represent our nation. Enough of pubs, clubs and sea sports.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

Oh yeah, forgot about the chilling out part. Not sure why Miss Singapore has the audacity to use the "chilling out" phrase. Not even Miss USA dares to use the phrase. Sigh.

Sea sports blow. So she surfs and sun tan by the beach. . big deal. Where's the personality?

3:07 AM  
Blogger vanilla said...

Her personality? Oh.. she's in and cool. Cause only in and cool people does sea sports.

Actually she is a carbon copy of a typical life of a lot of young yuppies in Singapore. In a way, she does represent Singapore.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Captain Obvious said...

Which is why us guys have a thing for Ms Eunice Olsen. She at least go beyond sea sports and has a personality. Our most memorable Miss Universe except the one which got into the top 10 by virtue of Singapore hosting the event.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home