Saturday, August 26, 2006

Strange Hair Day


I came across this group of punks in Chathuchack Market. For a second, I thought I was back in Roppongi in Tokyo when I was there in 2001. I am not sure whether you can see it clearly but holy shit, the two guy's spiky hair were protruding at more than 50 cm long. It looked like porcupines died on their heads and the kids decided to wear it out of spite. The guy in black on the bike had a hairstyle like a fan. I am sure he can use it to saw wood. If he moved his head from side to side, I'm sure he can cause turbulence in the air. Call me a Lao country bumpkin but I don't recall seeing such awesome hairdos in Singapore even among the Ah Beng or Malay rockers community. How are they going to wear a helmet? What happen when they are showering? Do their hairdressers need to erect mini-scaffoldings to hold the hair in place till it dries? All deeply intriguing questions, you would agree. You can actually develop a new martial art form with their sort of hair - like the Er Mei's 36 styles of hairy death. When I was looking at them, I had to fight this immense compulsion to grab a hoop and try to throw and land it on their spiky hair to win a teddy bear like in the carnival.

They sat there without care in the world, soaking in the attention from curious passerbys. The Thai passerby in blue shirt (in the picture) who was talking on the phone looked like he was calling his mother to ask whether the Hungry Ghost Festival was still on. The woman in the background couldn't take her eyes off the kids. She was still staring when I left. The kids were like Lords of the Land, surveying the land which they owned. In fairness, they were just sitting there, getting curious stares but did not cause trouble.

It must be a strange phase of life for these kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home